Government reactivates SPDA, budget proposed at P988 million

DAVAO CITY – The government has reactivated the Southern Philippines Development Authority (SPDA) in turn-over ceremonies Saturday, SPDA administrator and chief executive officer Zamzamin Ampatuan said.

President Arroyo through Executive Order 560 signed on Aug. 27 ordered the reactivation, announced
last month during the commemoration of the 10th of the signing of the final peace agreement with the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF).

In 2002, Arroyo deactivated SPDA by virtue of Executive Order No. 149 on Nov. 18, amid reported misunderstanding inside the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) that led to mismanagement.

The reactivation, announced on Sept. 2 by Executive Secretary Ermita, came after the government was criticized for what MNLF chair Nur Misuari said as an “ill-fated” peace agreement.

Ermita said the SPDA will focus on the “socio-economic catch-up plan” for the areas of autonomy even if Jesus Dureza, Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process, told MindaNews after the anniversary rites that the reactivated SPDA is “for the catch up plan for the MNLF.”

Ampatuan, interviewed by reporters Monday, said they are looking at a proposed budget of P988 million to revive stalled projects and to push through with projects already in the pipeline when it was deactivated. Read story here.

About mindanaw

A Journalist from Mindanao

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: