DOT: Travel advisories won’t pull down tourism in Mindanao
DAVAO CITY (MindaNews/16 Oct) — The government is confident the
travel advisories issued by the American and Australian embassies
against traveling to Mindanao following last week’s series of bombings
will not result in a decrease in the number of tourists coming in.
Sonia Garcia, director of the Department of Tourism office in
Southeastern Mindanao, said that the region does not rely on foreign
tourists, noting that only 10 percent of the area’s 600,000 annual
visitors are foreigners.
While she admitted the advisories will have effects on the tourism
industry, it is not “that much.”
Six persons died while 29 others were injured when a bomb exploded in
Makilala town in North Cotabato on Oct. 10. Just a few hours before,
four persons were also wounded in another bombing incident in Tacurong
City in Sultan Kudarat. Yet another bomb exploded in Cotabato City a
day after, but none was reported injured.
Garcia said majority of the tourists, to this city for example, are
businessmen. She noted that whatever happens, whether there is a
travel advisory or not, the businessmen will come to Davao. (To be updated)