Government confident on new proposal to MILF

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / November 17) – The new proposal of the  government to the Moro Islamic Liberation Front on territory offers a “very positive” chance of breaking the impasse in the peace negotiations, the government adviser on the peace process said.

Secretary Jesus Dureza told reporters Friday that indicators show there could possibly be an earlier resumption of the exploratory talks of the two panels following the government’s submission of a new proposal on November 9.

He said that the MILF received the following day, five days ahead of the government’s extension of a deadline for the proposal.

Dureza did not give any salient feature of the new proposal beyond saying that said the proposal was only contained in a one-page letter. He said that in gist, the letter-proposal suggested that “the way forward revolves around the concept of self-determination”.

Dureza said the MILF has “indicated a lot of positive ambience” in reaction to the new proposal compared in the past. But he said Friday the government did not “throw away” the Philippine Constitution in the new proposal. He refused to give details pending the
official response from the MILF.

On Wednesday, Lanang Ali, MILF peace panel member said the MILF response was still “forthcoming” and earlier on Monday, Mohagher Iqbal, MILF chief negotiator, said the new proposal “enlarges the ring”. He did not elaborate, nor clarified to what he was referring to. (To be updated)

About mindanaw

A Journalist from Mindanao

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: