Misuari in Jeddah tri-partite meet: still up for the court to decide – Dureza
Two weeks before the scheduled tri-partite meeting between the government, the Moro National Liberation Front, and the Organization of Islamic Conference in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, the government still has not indicated if MNLF chair Nur Misuari will be released temporarily to attend it.
Peace Process adviser Sec. Jesus Dureza said it is up for the courts to decide.
Misuari has been detained since January 2002 on rebellion charges for the November 2001 uprising of his men in Sulu and Cabatangan in Zamboanga City.
Dureza could not say if a court decision is out before the March 17 to 18 preparatory meeting.
He said, however, that he is batting for Misuari’s attendance in the tripartite meeting. Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte said he accepted Misuari’s invitation to go with the MNLF delegation as observer.
An MNLF official last year said in an interview that the success of the tripartite meeting is crucial “or else, we may again go back to square one,” he warned.
Supporters have sought the unconditional release of Misuari so he could lead the MNLF delegation to the Jeddah.