Lapses in preparation vs. avian flu noted

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews/13 July) — The Mindanao coordinator of the Avian Influenza Task Force admitted Friday that there had been lapses in the preparations in Mindanao against bird flu.

Dr. Rafael Mercado, also chief of the Department of Agriculture’s livestock division in Southeastern Mindanao, said this week’s confiscation of nearly 300 exotic birds smuggled from Indonesia and their burning served as a wake up call to strengthen preparedness against the Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) that has plagued Asian countries except Hongkong, Singapore and the Philippines.

“It seems there are shortcomings,” he told MindaNews in a telephone interview Friday from Cebu City where he was attending a Regional Avian Influenza Preparedness and Zoning Workshop.

He said the task force will conduct an immediate assessment of their preparedness in the aftermath of the confiscation.   Read the rest of the report on MindaNews.com.

About mindanaw

A Journalist from Mindanao

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: